Scottish Biogas and Compost Sector Survey

19th April 2019
Report Covers

Enscape Consulting and its partners were appointed by Zero Waste Scotland in 2018 to provide a national survey of biogas and composting in Scotland for the year 2017.  This research has identified that 217 million m3 of biogas was generated in 2017, with the industrial and farming sectors together accounting for 68% of the total.  Merchant and waste water treatment facilities accounted for the remaining 32%.  

In terms of food waste, it is estimated that in 2017, 176 thousand tonnes of food waste was processed through both anaerobic digestion and composting.

The reports can be found on the Zero Waste Scotland website below.